Tuesday 14 July 2009

Rutland birds

Surprisingly, as Rutland is in the centre of England, we have a rich avian tradition, led by Rutland Water which hosts the annual UK Bird Fair. As well as the VIP birds such as egrets and ruffs that tend to keep to the Water, other exciting species, such as red kites, buzzards and oyster catchers are now spreading out into the countryside http://www.rutlandwater.org.uk/recentsightings.html.
The most exciting sighting for me was last friday. I took Annie for our usual walk around the fishing pond, and as we crossed the meadow toward it I watched what I first assumed to be a kite (now quite common around here) drifting lethargically ten feet above the field. I soon realised it was the wrong shape to be a kite or a buzzard, and when I got really close saw that it was white underneath. An Osprey! Still doubting my own eyes that our poxy little pond next to the RAF Cottesmore runway would be honoured by such a visitor I stood next to the water and watched as the bird flew back and forth above. Then emitting a cry, it plunged down to the surface of the pond, scooped up a fish and flapped slowly off. WOW! When we continued our walk around the pond I came across a fishing platform with a fish skeleton on it - presumably "my" osprey had fed there earlier. [I didn't take the picture sadly]

Of more exotic species, a parrot recently escaped from a house in Cottesmore, there is at least one peacock in the village (isn't there in very village?) and I have just spotted on our back fence what, after an extensive web search, most resembles a female mynah bird (see pic below). As they are indiginous to the Himalayas this seems unlikely, but the only other plausible explanation is a female green woodpecker carrying a piece of carrot. Any ideas?



No comments:

Post a Comment